Air Pollution: Dirty Boris
Caroline Allen, London Assembly Candidate at Lea Bridge Road Roundabout Protest
Public Meeting Update:
We are sorry to announce that due to unforseen circumtaces we have had to postpone the public meeting at Stoke Newington School. If you would like to be included on the mailing list for the air pollution campaign, please email email@example.com.
In 1952 the Great Smog in London killed approximately 12,000 people, and mostly affected children and those with pre-existing respiratory illness. Though not as visible today, air pollution is a real to threat lives again.
London’s dirty air can take years off your life expectancy, significantly increases the risk of heart disease, and costs the NHS billions every year. Research shows that children living near the busiest roads can have 20% less lung capacity and are up to 30% more likely to develop asthma.
To read the full Green Party policy on pollution, click here.
What we're doing
- Pushing 20MPH on all Hackney Council controlled roads
- Getting Hackney Council to change all their transport to green vehicles which deliver cost savings and improve air quality
- Campaigning for Better provisions for cyclists and pedestrians
- Calling for the Council to roll out bicycle clubs for every school in Hackney by the summer of 2013
What you can do
- Sign our petition online to call on Boris Johnson to clean up the air along heavily polluted roads that run near to 1,148 schools in Greater London
- Attend the public meeting in Hackney on 28th March
- Download a handy briefing which puts the facts about air pollution in your hands
- Watch Darren Johnson, Green Party Assembly Member, explain the problem and solution in one minute here
- Walk with Living Streets
- Help measure air quality on your street with a diffusion tube
- Visit the 'Dirty Boris' web-page
- Vote Green Party at 3rd May London Elections
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved
Press & campaign history
- Hackney residential roads to have 20MPH, Hackney Gazette, 2012
- Caroline Allen, Green Party London Assembly Candidate, letter to the press, 2012
- Victory for Hackney Greens on 20MPH limits, 2012
- Hackney Green Party demands action on "Silent Killer" at protest, 2011
- Clean Air London - Campaigning for clean air in London
- Client Earth - Lawyers suing the Government for failing to protect the public against air pollution
- London Air Quality Network -air quality mapping from King's College London
- Suggested reading: Borris Johnson sticks by gluing pollution to roads, BBC News
- Suggested reading: UK air pollution 'puts lives at risk', BBC News
Photo credit: Laura Salisbury, © 2011